When A Death Occurs
Always notify the funeral home of your loved one’s passing as soon as possible to ensure a timely transfer into the funeral home’s care.
Under Hospice care: The hospice personnel will document the death appropriately and then call the funeral home you have chosen to initiate the transfer.
Unexpectedly: When a loved one dies unexpectedly and is not under any medical supervision please notify us as soon as possible so we can help guide you on the appropriate steps to take next.
At a facility: Give the healthcare personnel the name and number of the funeral home you have chosen to care for you loved one. They will notify the funeral home you have chosen to initiate the transfer.
This part of the process is often difficult, and we are here to help and support you. If you’re not sure what to do, call us any time.
Within the First 24 Hours
You’ll want to notify close friends and relatives, both through personal phone calls as well as your loved one’s death obituary. If this process is too painful for you, it’s absolutely okay to ask a trusted family member or friend to help you.
When we meet with you to discuss the arrangements, we'll first provide you with a general price list to give you a basic idea of what our services cost.
What to Expect When We Meet
Included is a list of the things we will discuss:
- Preparing and filing the death certificate
- Scheduling the services and events (including the location, date, and time)
- Selecting a casket or other memorial products you may need
- Drafting an obituary
- Arranging necessary transportation
We'd like to make this process as smooth and stress-free for you as we can, so remember to have the following information about your loved one with you as well:
- Full legal name and home address
- Social security number
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Father's name
- Mother's maiden name
- Highest education
- Information about the burial location if applicable
- Minister name and phone number if applicable
- Names and relationships of survivors
- Names and relationships of family members preceding them in death
- Insurance policy information if using to pay for funeral expenses
Please also bring a recent photograph if applicable and any clothing you'd like us to use when dressing them for the service.